Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Adding a Little English Style to Florals


An English Style Meadow
by Judith F Lochbrunner
mixed media on paper

Social media has meant many things to many people.  For me it has meant that I can follow the work of artists around the world.  Carole Baker is an English artist whose watermedia paintings use a wide variety of media: watercolor, acrylic, pastel, charcoal, crayons, inks and a few others that I have surely overlooked.  She shares her work with lively commentary on Facebook.  I am amazed at the variety and sheer amount of work that she produces.    

Recently she shared work by artist Chris Forsey RI who also uses mixed media in his work.  From that post I was able to find two different painting demonstrations by him onYouTube videos.  

These two English artists inspired me to utilize a wider range of media in the painting.  With the work table surface covered with acrylic paint, acrylic inks, graphite and water-soluble pastel,  I created my meadow.  I enjoyed the fun of switching between medias to find exactly the right application. 

You can see more of the pastels and inks as well as the acrylic passages in this close-up section.


Detail: An English Style Meadow

This work is now for sale at 2nd Helpings Gallery in Roanoke, VA.  I hope it brings a smile and a second look by you and by those who walk by it in the gallery.

4 comments:

  1. Just got this in my inbox and I know you posted it yesterday. Love this !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I think it brightens up a winter day.

      Delete
  2. It was exciting to see how the different media created different textures. thanks!

    ReplyDelete