Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Friday, January 2, 2015

No Failures in Art: You Either Win or You Learn


Many thanks to Succeed As Your Own Boss Newsletter and its creator Small Biz Lady Melinda Emerson for the inspiration of this post's title and photo.  

This small business newsletter encourages me to think like a business person.  Being an artist is a small business and the newsletter prompts me to think and consider how my art business can be more successful.  

The New Year tasks include closing last year by getting financial and tax records in order.  And that usually expands to include cleaning, sorting and clearing in both the office and studio.  This past week I cleaned out the art storage closet in the basement.  It had become a space to put whatever with no path to even walk through it.   Several old discarded paintings hung on the wall which I decided to take down, remove from the frames and bring back up to the studio for experimenting.  

As I laid them out this afternoon on the work table I thought of the Jan. 1, 2015 Succeed as You Own Boss Newsletter and the sentence "There is no such thing as failure in business, either you win or your learn."  

So the discarded paintings are only a failure if I simply toss them in the trash.  If I put them back on the work table and get out my paints they become opportunities to learn.

I hope to show you what I have learned from them in the upcoming blogs.

Happy New Year to You All!

PS If you enjoyed this post please share or like my Facebook page (see top right).  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment