Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, June 22, 2015

A Request for a Triptych

A few days ago while I was chatting with my friend, she asked if I was going to do another triptych?  It was excellent timing as I had just finished working on one earlier in the week.

What is a triptych?

One of the best definitions I found on my search: A set of three associated artistic, literary, or musical works intended to be appreciated together.

Why do three works?

While the artist can assemble any number of works to hang together, three is a good number for practical reasons as three painting surfaces can fit on the easel or studio wall.

Three is also an odd number and so makes the combination more informal.  In a more formal combination like a diptych (2 works) a certain amount of symmetry and balance is required.

For my new triptych I chose three  9 x 12 inch gallery wrap canvases.  I do like the math of the final size of the three works together (27 x 12 inches).  And the idea of working on each canvas in portrait (vertical) and ending up with a landscape (horizontal) composition adds a certain amount of energy.

The gallery wrap canvas provides flexibility in the final hanging arrangement as the works can be hung tightly (as in my photo), or with a gap between works, or have each painting placed in a floater frame to further separate one work from the others.


Color of Summer - Triptych
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on canvas
12 x 27 inches

Thanks for stopping by my blog and if you enjoyed this post, please share.





No comments:

Post a Comment