Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, September 21, 2015

Art Starts or Avoiding a Blank Canvas



(An assortment of canvas and papers prepped and ready for development into a painting.)

It has been a hectic few weeks prepping and packing and setting-up, and taking-down, and re-packing, and then repeating for the next art festival!  Now I am delighted to get back in the studio to begin painting new work.

When I do begin a series of new works it is helpful to have the canvas, paper or whatever surface I choose "ready".   Many years ago I sat in on a painting demonstration by a well-known artist who painted beautiful wildflower landscapes.  He showed a slide of his studio in which we could see a large assortment of canvases with only the skies painted.  These included high horizon, low horizon, cloudy, stormy as well as clear blue skies.  I was rather surprised that he would begin in this manner.  Now I completely understand as he was avoiding the "blank" canvas.  He wanted to get right to the wildflowers when he had studio time.  

If I have only a small amount of time to work in the studio, I often use the time to do drawings, to layout compositions and to prepare surfaces.  When I do have a full afternoon I can squeeze out all the paint I need and jump right into painting and enjoy the process. 

And now even when I clean-up after a painting session, excess paint gets wiped off brushes and onto canvas or paper.  Paint left on palettes also gets transferred to painting surfaces so even my "starts" get a "start".


For the Love of Florals
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic/mixed media on canvas
(sold at Art on the Lawn)

Many thanks to everyone who stopped by my art display at the art festivals these past couple weekends.  Your comments and compliments were amazing!   

I also want to express my thanks to those who purchased art.  I am honored to have art in your home.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.



No comments:

Post a Comment