Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

The Art of the Heirloom; Artists Interpret Heirloom Plants



Today we stopped by Thomas Jefferson's Monticello while in Charlottesville.  We did some Christmas shopping at the museum store.  After exiting we saw a sign for "The Art of the Heirloom". Since gardening with native plants and heirlooms has long been an interest of mine, we made a dash down the stairs to see the art.

It was even more exciting to discover that this was the art show conducted by the Hudson Valley Seed Library.  Every year artists are invited to interpret heirloom and open-pollinated plants in the  library's seed catalogs for the covers of the seed packets.   I was already familiar with this art show as I had entered last spring; however I did not realize that it traveled around the country too.


 It was a real treat to actually see the artwork that was created for the seed packets.  My photos only offer a small view of the variety and quality of each of the artworks.  I have included a couple close-ups of the art.

Glass mosaic by Suzanne Fortin


Cut paper collage and acrylic by Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson


Here is a complete list of the art and artists with a bit more information. 

Take some time to look at the Hudson Valley Seed Library to see this years artists.  I'm going to get my 2016 entry ready early this year.  

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment