Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Small Flowers are Big Inspiration for a Painting



It was an excellent season for the wild asters as you can see in the photo above.  I have enlarged it a bit so you can look for the light-colored clump of flowers about one-third of the way up from the left lower corner.  A few more peak up just above from the center of the bottom.  

These small flowers are easily missed but for anyone who takes the time to look the dainty violet petals make a lovely contrast with the colors of the late summer/early fall foliage.   



Creating a painting inspired by these wildflowers has been something that I have wanted to do for the past couple months.  And today I was finally able to sit down to begin work on it.   As you can see in my photo (above) that I have my initial sketch (scribble?), a reference of a hybrid aster found in a garden catalog and the 12 x 12 panel that has been prepared by covering with leftover paint from my palette.


I used a scrap piece of mat board to lay in some floral shapes.  Note that I have chosen to use the larger hybrid aster in the reference photo as I wanted to utilize more of the lovely purple color.


The contrast has been accentuated by adding lighter colors particularly the minty green, light blue and especially the yellow.   The yellow/violet color combination in the reference photo was too good to not include in the final painting.


"Fall Meadow"
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic on canvas board
12 by 12 inches framed

And you are invited to stop by Goose Creek Studio this weekend for their holiday open house.  I will be there from 1-3 PM on Saturday (Dec. 12).  Please stop by to say hello!

The art show at the Jefferson Center continues through mid-January during regular business hours and during concerts and performances.  The Double Line Painters of the Blue Ridge also have paintings hanging at the Salem Museum and admission to the museum is free.

  Thanks for stopping by my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment