Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Goose Creek Studio Plein Air is Challenge Painting #4


Goose Creek Studio (Bedford, VA)
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic/mixed media on canvas
11 x 14 inches
challenge painting #3

Sometimes the most difficult thing to do with a plein air painting (or any painting for that matter) is to finish it.  I had completed most of the painting on an absolutely beautiful and warm afternoon during the studio's holiday open house last month.  

As I have posted earlier, Leslie Saeta's Painting Challenge for January is the prompt that I have been using to complete works that have piled up in the studio.  

This work really needed to be completed as it is a gift for the owners, Mitchell and Patrick, to thank them for all their work to support local arts (and they have a great frame shop too!).  However I wanted to finish the work and still keep the spirit of the "plein air".  I think that I accomplished that by accepting the painting decisions made on that afternoon and then focusing on adding all the small details without getting "too fussy" to give the old building its personality.   


Thanks to Rod Adams for the photo of me with the painting "in progress".

Thank you for stopping by my blog and please check back again. 
 More challenge paintings are on the work table.

PS:  Happily the painting is now up on the Goose Creek Studio Facebook page 

No comments:

Post a Comment