Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January Challenge Painting #2

Here is the "companion" painting to the first painting of Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 day challenge.  When working on small paintings I prefer to do at least two at a time.  Having more than one work on the easel keeps me from the tendency to over-work the paintings.


The View of the Park
Challenge Painting #2
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic/pencil on paper
8 x 10 inches


I did take some photos of the process as I was again re-working a less-than-successful painting.


This work is a plein air painting of Carvin's Cove located on the Roanoke/Botetourt County line. About the only part that I though was pleasing was some of the color coming through the treeline behind the water.

I took a cue from the blue-grey colors in the original but added some zip with pink and violet.



The painting is nearly complete but a bit too frenzied.  I do like the green surrounding the smaller shapes so I decided to paint more of the green color to calm it down.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and be sure to check back for more 
challenge paintings this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment