Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Warm Summer Nights' Dreaming in February


Friday Night Cruise-in, Buchanan (VA)
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
mixed media/acrylic
24 x 12 inches


In the past several days our weather has included record low temperatures, snow, freezing rain, and rain to a high today near 50!  Much of the eastern part of the country has endured this very challenging long holiday weekend.

The good news is that I had a chance to work uninterrupted in the studio (thanks to my husband for shoveling and my neighbor for plowing.) The Double Line Painters of the Blue Ridge have a show scheduled from May 4- June 11, 2016 at the Arts Depot in Abingdon, VA.  The show is titled "Life Along Route 11.  (Route 11 by the way connects our area with Abingdon.)  

The idea for this painting has been in my mind for quite some time but I never could quite decide how to create the scene.  The historic Buchanan Theater is the focus of the Friday Night Cruise-Ins during the summer months.  I wanted to capture the memories rekindled or created by this event; not to paint vintage cars that looked as if they were out of an auto magazine.  My solution was to highly texture the surface with heavy acrylic gel to encourage a loose application of paint instead of a highly tense and detailed line.  So the challenge was to balance the need to look like the appropriate model and year of the car without being a slave to too many details.  

I hope you find that I achieved this in spite of the photo provided.  (As soon as the weather clears up I will take the painting outside to photograph which works better for my skill.)  Thanks for stopping by my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment