Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Friday, April 22, 2016

Practice for Plein Air Paint-Out


Yesterday was a wonderful day to explore the Lynchburg Old City Cemetery for the upcoming 1st Annual Paint Out Lynchburg next week.  

This is my first participation in a plein air competition and it seemed very prudent to do some preparations ahead of time to help make the actual paint-out day more successful.   Sue, Linda and I arrived before the clouds had burned off and walked the cemetery checking out the historic museums, gardens (including the wall of antique roses which had a few already blooming) and both the old family plots as well as the Confederate section.  

We took photos, made some notes as well as visualized possible locations for setting up for next week's paint-out.   After lunch we set-up our easels to paint.

I chose a spot in front of the Pest House Medical Museum with its medicinal herb garden already showing some blooms.  As I painted I tried to think ahead as to what else would be helpful to pack.  A couple additional paint colors would be helpful, a larger size canvas might be better and adding in a few more brushes would speed up the painting.

Another item on my check-list was to determine the best colors for the underpainting.  I do not like to paint on a white canvas.  Since this is a competition, all canvas much begin totally blank (white) and will receive a stamp on the back to approve its use that day.  The painting yesterday had a bright blue with touches of pink and red on it (I like colorful underpaintings.) which I felt worked. The plan will be to take a moment before I begin to quickly lay a wash of those colors on the canvas and while they dry to do some initial sketches.

Now if I can only remember all this preparation and not get too rushed or distracted by seeing all the wonderful, accomplished plein air artists next Friday, it will be a good day!


Before this blog is finished I want to share a photo of a pioneer rose that was in bloom in the medicinal garden.  Yellow roses are a family favorite and always grab my attention.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.    

No comments:

Post a Comment