Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Not Your Ordinary Garden & Art at Artisan Fair at Sedalia


(detail of Foxglove Folly by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner

"Not you ordinary garden" has been the theme of my art for the past few years and I have not nearly run out of ideas yet!  This may be partly due to the flowers bursting into bloom in May.  And among my favorites are the foxglove.


(Foxglove beginning to bloom this afternoon in the front perennial bed.)

What do I like about foxgloves?  They send up graceful bloom stalks with a delicate pattern of dots inside the flowers and they are deer-proof (deer do not eat them).   The delicate but distinct flowers, gentle curves of the stalk and whorl of leaves at the base are just perfect (in my opinion) for painting.

The challenge was to paint the foxglove and capture my impression of all the shapes of the plant.     For "Foxglove Folly"  I hand-painted collage papers to assemble the flowers and leaves.  After attaching them to the board, it was a matter of editing and painting out the excess to create the foxglove.



Foxglove Folly 
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
mixed media on board
36 x 12 inches

This painting will be on display in the gallery in the Artisan Fair at Sedalia on Saturday, May 28, 2016.  The art show will be curated by local artists and gallery owners Mitchell Bond and Patrick Ellis of Goose Creek Studio.

The exhibition, "Goose Creek Artisan Biennial" will highlight some of the most innovative and cutting edge fine art and fine craft being created across Bedford County today.

Although I will not have a booth myself this year, I am happy to report that three of my paintings are included in this biennial art show.  There will also be arts and crafts, demonstrations, food, music in a beautiful setting.  Complete details: Artisan Fair at Sedalia.  

Hope that you will add the Artisan Fair to your Saturday.  
Thanks for stopping by my blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment