Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Paint Out Lessons Or What a Rose Taught Me

  I set-up my easel at 8:30 AM at the Lynchburg Old City Cemetery.  I had thought to do a view of the Pest House with its medicinal/herb gardens (see my previous blog).  However my attention was quickly directed to a large old rugosa rose in full bloom.  It's scent was delightful as well.   Therese Bugnet was in all her glory and I focused on "her" for the morning.


Lesson 1: Focus on the composition no matter how beautiful the roses.

My goal was to take my time and work through the painting from start to finish.  It was cool and foggy that morning which made for some wonderful soft, cool colors.  The acrylics were slowed a bit by the damp conditions which provided some extra "working" time before they dried.  This allowed me more opportunities to stop and consider how the composition was working.  From the initial drawing to fine-tuning and drawing again in between all the steps as the paint was drying, the composition was evaluated and re-evauluated.

Lesson 2: Time is important as blooms don't last forever.

I focused on getting everything in the painting completed before adding the blooming roses.   The light on the foliage and gravestones would change dramatically once the fog burned off.   A few peaks of sun were my clue to wrap it up!

Lesson 3:  Push the color and let some fall like petals on the ground..

Pink is not one of my typical colors as I prefer to use a magenta in my artwork.  Adding all those juicy pinks was just pure fun towards the end.   It was hard to not paint pink roses everywhere!

Lesson 4:  Take the time to smell the roses.

I got in too much of a hurry to start the next painting and I regret not taking time to walk around to see what the other artists were doing.  At my next paint out learning from what the other artists see and how they approach their subjects will be as important as completing my own artwork

While this painting is a bit different from what I typically do it was good to meet the challenge of completing a work in "time" or before the light totally changed.


Fog and Old Roses
by Judith F Lochbrunner

The second work began abstractly which is more typical of my style.  I set up near one of the old family plots which are surrounded by stone and topped with an iron fence and gate.  A red trumpet vine with very thick stems wound all through the fence and was already blooming.  There was a great contrast of colors from the purple-grey thick stems, older yellow leaves, bright green new leaves, reddish buds, and orange-red blooms.  I was able to get about 3/4 of the way complete on this work in the afternoon.




As I was cleaning up I noticed a sign with a short description about the ladies buried with these large and monuments in an expensive family plot.  It seems that this mother-daughter duo ran a "gentlemen's sporting club".  The sign also noted that it was unclear whether the women themselves had made enough money or whether their patrons had paid for it.   Perhaps the red trumpet vine was also a personal selection paid for by the purchaser.

Final note:  Many thanks go to the Lynchburg Art Club volunteers for a well-organized event and to the staff at the Old City Cemetery for making us feel welcome, providing a delicious lunch and 2 PM cookies with lemonade.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.  Come back again.



No comments:

Post a Comment