Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, May 30, 2016

Too Many Choices - Finding a Focus for a Painting

Last week, I visited the beautiful grounds surrounding Grey Towers enjoying everything from the blooms to the vistas.   The grounds were composed of many different garden "rooms" each designed with a focal point.  It was difficult to decide what area was my favorite or which one I would possibly choose as my inspiration for a painting.




While the view from the house was stellar,  the view toward the house was equally as impressive.


 And as I continued my walk through the formal gardens, I came upon my "focus".  It was a bit of a surprise as it was an unexpected stone creature.  It made me stop and smile.




Yes, it was a turkey.   There is no doubt that the garden's creator chose this native bird for a reason.  Yet I can't help but think that the choice was a bit of a departure from what was being displayed in other grand gardens of the time.

It reminded me of the importance to choose not just a focal point; but to choose a focus for a painting which is unexpected, a bit of a surprise, and a step away from the ordinary.  

Now to get back in the studio and put this into practice.   

 Thank you for stopping by my blog.





No comments:

Post a Comment