Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Day 10 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days More or Less

Today is the tenth post in Leslie Saeta's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge



Rock On
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic on textured canvas
8 by 10 inches

All plein air artists have to paint rocks sooner or later.  There are simply too many in our landscape to avoid.  On this morning I set up among the rocks (boulders) that lined a creek within view of the cabin at the top of the hill.   I used a palette knife to get big strong shapes of color to make my rocks really "rock".   While there was some success,  I felt it could and should be better.

Back in the studio I was able to take my time and mix up the cool and warm neutral rock colors.  This was repeated a couple times until I came to this resolution.  While I feel the rocks are improved they are not rock'n yet.  More practice is needed so its back to the creek to paint again.

Thank you for staying with my blog while I work on this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment