Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Day 17 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days More of Less

Today is the seventeenth day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge


Queen Anne's Lace with a View
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic on canvas
8 x 8 inches

Back on September 2 with "Mailbox 2016", I wrote that I had intended to paint the Queen Anne's Lace.   However I was so captivated by the attitude of the mailboxes that the flowers were never painted.  Today it was finally the day for them.

This work began as a plein air painting.  Queen Anne's Lace was blooming next to the parking area on the Blue Ridge Parkway overlook.    It was my intention to contrast the flowers with the view of the valley below.   I took the plein air start and proceeded to simplify the scene in the studio to emphasize those areas.  It was a challenge to create an interesting but understated "middle ground".  I then continued to not use a larger brush to paint in information, not details.    

I hope that you have continued to enjoy these daily challenge postings 
and thank you for stopping by my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment