Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 22 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days More or Less

Today is the twenty-second day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge




Verdigris
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
acrylic on painted paper
6 x 6 inches

This painting is the view further up the street from the one posted yesterday (Day 21).  The beautiful shape of the steeple caught my attention both because of the color of the roof but also the open bell tower.  As I worked on a quick "thumbnail" drawing to determine the composition, I realized the the shrubs planted around the historic house mimicked the pyramidal shape of the steeple in both the shape and green color.   I was able to complete about 2/3 of the painting while there.  

However I needed a third point in the painting to lead the viewer around the composition.  Adding someone walking down the street provided another shape although not exactly a pyramid.... but close.

As the old joke goes .... "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"  The answer is "Practice, practice, practice!"   So how do you get to be a better painter?  I think you all know the answer.   

October will be here in a week and I thank you for staying with my blog throughout the painting challenge.



2 comments:

  1. Love those blue green trees, the shapes are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We complain about all the green around here during the summer when we go out to paint but really do love it. Thanks.

      Delete