Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Day 28 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days More or Less

Today is the twenty-eighth day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge



Milkweed Meadow
by Judith Flynn Lochbrunner
mixed media
6 x 6 inches


Last fall I did a series of paintings based on milkweed pods found along the Blue Ridge Parkway when we were out enjoying the fall colors.   They are one of my favorite subjects so it should be no surprise that the plants appeared in my mixed media abstracts for this final week.  

I focused on only the shapes and movement to keep the painting less realistic and more abstract.  My favorite part is the "seed pod" in the upper left that helps the define the focal point.  That shape was from the very first layer of paint application and as soon as I saw it I knew it was a "keeper".  

Two more paintings to go for this challenge.  Thank you so much for staying with my blog.




2 comments:

  1. Really loving this palette Judith. This is so wonderful. I love the movement, and those deep purples really set off the brights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for the purples as I was worried that they were not going to be dark enough.. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete