Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, October 6, 2016

An Artist's Week: Donkeys, Art Starts and Plein Air



(Bold colors out of the jar make an exciting layer of paint on this new work.)

After a month of daily blogs with a new painting each day as part of the September 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, this was a week to catch-up and re-direct my painting.  

First is was time for a break and it (really) was art-related as I have been searching for donkeys to photograph for references.  We attended the first annual Virginia Donkey Rescue - Donktoberfest and it was a wonderful event. We met several cute, friendly donkeys and I took many photos -- fun art research!


(Friendly donkeys posed for photos and future paintings.)
 
No paintings were finished or signed this week.  Instead it was time to prepare several sheets of watercolor paper, sketch ideas and compositions, apply the initial layers of paint,  apply another layer of darks and finally catch-up with this blog.


(Gessoed watercolor paper with an initial layer of watercolor and gouache to layout the design.)

The cooler temperatures finally arrived this week.  This morning we waited until the fog lifted before heading to one of the parks along the Roanoke Greenway.   It was a nice spot and I did like what I painted but the real story of the morning was the acquaintances I saw and the other walkers on the trail who stopped to talk and see the painting.  Art is indeed a conversation.


(A photo of my set-up and yes, that is Black Dog Salvage truck and building across the road.)  

It was a good art week and I plan to have more progress to report in my next blog. 
 Thank you for stopping by today.





SaveSave

SaveSave

4 comments:

  1. Cute... and has me looking forward to more :) Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to spend more time in the studio next week --- isn't that what we always say!
    Glad you stopped by the blog - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those colors you are playing with! I've been wanting to do donkey paintings for my aunt who has two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to do a donkey painting but do more than one. Everyone loves them.
    And the colors are working well together hopefully they are just as "happy" when I finish. many thanks

    ReplyDelete