Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Not Quite a Proper Arrangement

This painting was inspired by two very different sources.  The first is the current large number of posts on social media of formal floral still lives featuring deep red blooms.  They are absolutely luscious with the juicy brushstrokes in thick oil paint.  It is enough to tempt me to get out the oil paints stashed away in a drawer.

The other source of inspiration is the floral displays the volunteers create at the Cemetery Center at the Lynchburg Old City Cemetery  Each time I visit, I admire the beauty of the arrangements selected from what ever plant material is available that morning.


Not Quite a Proper Arrangement
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on canvas
12 x 9 inches

  
These two influences came together last week when I decided to paint a more "formal" abstract floral.      A neutral background (wall perhaps) was painted in with a bit of a trellis design added for some extra depth and formality.  The neutralized turquoise pitcher added yet another traditional element to the still life.

Yet the floral shapes are far more abstract than realistic.  And the arrangement is a bit out of balance.  This hopefully keeps the painting from becoming too stiff and more of a surprise.

For contrast, I have included the other almost-completed floral painting on the easel.  The traditional still life is certainly not a trend in the studio.  Look for more about this second painting next week.


Thanks for stopping by my blog.  
And I welcome your comments on this latest "formal" abstract floral.

PS:  Look for "Not Quite a Proper Arrangement" is now in my Etsy shop .






2 comments:

  1. I like them both. The "wonky" arrangement is refreshing. Love the soft palettes, very relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a good painting to begin my "winter studio time". Hope you have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete