Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Why of Art


Study Break
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on painted paper
16 x 16 inches
(sold)

Many art instructors tell their students to create paintings that have a story.  I agree that each painting needs a reason/inspiration/motivation/etc to become a painting that is more than just art materials applied to a surface. 

The painting was inspired by a walk we took in Giles County not too far from the Virginia Tech campus.  We came upon this fishermen who was obviously a student taking a break from classes.  I enjoyed the combination of the location and the activity using both as the "why" for the painting.

"Study Break" recently sold and I was fortunate enough to be able to speak with the purchaser.  She told me that she bought it as a gift for a family member whose son had passed away.   This son skipped school one day when he was a teenager to go fishing.  A newspaper photographer who was in search of something to show the spring season took his photo and published it in the local newspaper.  The school, family and entire town learned of his "playing hookie" that day.

I was told that when she saw my painting she saw that teenager in the newspaper and knew the mom would too.   

There surely can be few better answers to the "why" of art than this.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.  

  




2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story for this special piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is so amazing that my painting brought this special memory to life.

    ReplyDelete