Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Day 19 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 19th day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017




Rushing Water
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on paper
8 x 6 inches


This challenge is about painting submerged rocks and rushing water.  There is a local artist who has won many national awards painting this type of scene.  I have seen several of them but never really thought about the why and how they were designed and constructed until working on this painting.

Underwater stones and moving water are a very busy subject.  Typically the painting is designed to have the forest and foliage playing a minor role.  My painting would have been much stronger had this thought occurred to me earlier in the process so lesson learned -- too much forest for the busy stream.

I decided to take a less traditional approach to creating the rocks.  A sea sponge made a "netting" of darks.  I used a home-made stamp using pieces of fun foam attached to a mat board to stamp stone shapes in lighter colors.   And I used a couple stencils to create even more irregular rock shapes in middle-tone colors.


(My apologies for the quality of the photo.)

 I hope you can see the stamped stone shapes on the beginning painting at the left.  On the right side of the photo: the blackened sponge is in the upper right,  paint-stained stencils are in the center right and lower right.  The home-made stamp is in the center.

Another important part of the painting process was working in layers.  A layer of acrylic gel was applied to separate the layers (beginning, middle and final).  The gelled surface allowed me to apply the lights on top of the rocks to indicate the rushing water.

Thank you for following along on my blog.  I appreciate your support as I work through all these landscape painting challenges.




4 comments:

  1. Turned out great :) Thanks for sharing your secrets. Very cool, and I do love those rocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to share art "toys". Many thanks for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great description of your process and sharing the tips and photos. I like the painting - the rocks in the stream are great. If you hadn't painted this you wouldn't have discovered the balance between forest and stream - I never would have thought of that but I will now! Looking forward to Day 21

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! Isn't art so much about doing?

    ReplyDelete