Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Friday, January 20, 2017

Day 20 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 20th Day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017.


Landline Only
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on paper
8 x 8 inches

The old photo that I found had some old buildings along a road with some wonderful clouds which all have been in previous painting challenges.  I did some sketching to set the composition.  It can be difficult and frustrating to draw on acrylic.  Vera Dickerson deserves the credit for this solution.
In the photo below I have my rough sketch at the bottom and the tracing of it on tissue paper at the top.  



(The tissue paper tracing of the buildings and road.)

I darkened the lines of the tracing paper with a Sharpie because of the dark paint already on the paper.  After placing the tissue paper on the paper I brushed on some acrylic gel working from the center outward.  The tissue paper is easily ripped so a light touch is essential.   Once the gel dries the drawing is ready for paint.


(The tissue paper drawing darkened with a Sharpie has been applied to the painted paper. )

This painting was a great opportunity to apply all my new knowledge and try to avoid previous mistakes.  I think this will make a great study for a much larger landscape.

Thanks so much for staying with my blog through two-thirds of the challenge.  Please check back for the next ten days.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link Judith, and your process. I love those clouds. Love how this started. That road is calling me... maybe it is because I am going to take a road trip soon :)

    ReplyDelete