Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Day 21 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 21st day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017


Three Virginia Peaches in Bloom
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on paper
6 x 6 inches

Fruit tress in bloom are today's challenge.  Fortunately there are several orchards not far from the house (and with farm markets too).   Not only do we get to see the beauty of the blooms but also to enjoy the fresh picked fruit.

The first time we set up plein air to paint the peaches in bloom, it was overwhelming.  Rows and rows of trees covered with bright pink blooms.  And then there were the mountains and woods and fields and....the list went on and on.   The painting that day was not good as I could not focus on what to paint.


And so for this landscape challenge I revisited the peach trees in bloom.  I narrowed my focus to only a few trees but still included the mountains, field and woods.  The background is in soft muted colors that recede allowing the peach trees to be the focus.  Strong lights and shadows on the wonderful crooked shapes of the trunks demand attention.  The shadows connect the trees with the lower part of the painting to firmly anchor them.

And then there is the pink --intense, bright and oh so much of it!  I used a random motion to suggest all the branches shooting out in all directions just covered in blooms.  Three layers of pink allow the back tree to recede and the front tree to come forward.  Best news of all is that I think it is enough but not too much pink.  I hope you agree.

Thanks for staying with my blog.  I appreciate your interest.





5 comments:

  1. It's perfect Judtith! Lovely scene, wonderful light, and the trees do have depth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I was happy to complete revisit this subject and the painting challenge provided a much needed push. Thanks for your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great composition and colour. Love the simplicity of this - I can see from you photo there was so much to look at and paint. I like how you edited out some of the tress and simplified the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too easy to fall in love with everything in view. Editing is the key! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete