Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, January 14, 2017

January 14 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 14th day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017.


Side Road
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on painted paper
6 x 6 inches

A very odd title for a painting which needs some explanation.  This work began as an unsuccessful plein air painting from this past November.  I had chosen a location that included a path that came off to the left from the main trail.  A simple problem to paint or so it seemed.  

I went home frustrated and began reading plein air articles and books.  And so the idea for this challenge seemed clear.  Paint 30 landscape paintings that each present a challenge.   Each challenge is to help me practice all types of landscape "problems".  I sometimes think that painting is simply another form of problem-solving.

This work is an exercise and it is the start of a series on paths and roads.  I love this style of abstracted landscape and this exercise should hopefully make my future ones better.


This gessoed paper is covered with acrylic paint.  

As an added bonus today I have a photo of how I do underpaintings.  I simply do not like starting on a white background.  So when I am painting I will have a piece of paper or small canvas by the palette.   I wipe the excess paint off my brush onto the paper or canvas to clean it before dipping it in the water.   They are then stacked on the shelf and when I have a painting in mind I choose one that seems to have the appropriate colors.

You could say it is an efficient way to do an underpainting.   Or you could say it is a cheap way to do an underpainting.  Or you could even say it is a more environmentally-friendly way to dispose of excess paint.  Maybe it is all three?

Thanks for checking on my blog today.  

4 comments:

  1. Judith, I love the idea of prepping your canvas that way. Love this, I want to drive down that road, no wait, I want to turn and see what I find. I can always go down the main road later :) Beautiful work, lovely soft light and atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you enjoyed my painting "tip". And thanks for the nice comments on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just cannot start painting on a 'white' piece of paper - so agree with your comments on starts, excess paint 100%. This is a great painting and I too want to follow the road - as far as I can. Lots of gorgeous texture and colour. The sky is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you appareciated my work to prevent working on white canvas/paper. Thank you for the nice comments on my "side road" painting.

    ReplyDelete