Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, January 2, 2017

January 2- 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 2nd day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge for January 2017.


Just Too Darn Much Texture
by Judith F Lochbrunner
12 x 12 inches

Several months ago I read a couple articles about adding texture to painting surfaces.  Most of my paintings already utilize a textured surface and I enjoy working on that surface.  

However this information inspired me to add a very heavily textured surface to a few canvases.  I decided to use one for another cloud painting.  I thought that it would actually make the cloud easier to paint.  The uneven surface would cause the brushstrokes to become even more irregular.

And my conclusion is simply that too much texture is just too much.  The overall feeling of the painting is "soft" and "squishy".  No line holds its straightness and no shape holds its edge.  While I do like how colors from previous layers are caught in the low spots, it is not enough to rescue the painting.  

So I appreciated the experience painting the cloud but decided to go back to my slightly textured surface for good (or at least not for quite some time).

Thank you for stopping by to check on the January Painting Challenge.  
I appreciate your thoughts and comments.









4 comments:

  1. I am watching the clouds roll by. Dark in front and lighter grey further away. That is what your clouds look like to me. As if they are moving, changing, evolving. Here's to a lesson learned, and a new beginning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the fun of painting - you notice what everyone else takes for granted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rich colour and I do like a lot of the texture. You never know until you try. As for the clouds - Sheila says it best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enjoyed the cloud exercises more than I expected. And so true, you never know until you try but I am guilty of over thinking and not doing.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete