Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

January 3 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 3rd day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017.

 "Don't be afraid to make the viewer question what you have done (thus catching his interest)." 
--Phil Metzer author of The Art of Perspective.

More about perspective in future posts as the today's topic is a finally-finished small painting that began as a plein air work.  We set up next to the very popular Greenway near Black Dog Salvage.  While I am accustomed to having people stop and ask questions, I was simply not able to talk to the many, many people who stopped by my easel that day AND paint.



House on the Hill
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on paper
6 x 6 inches

The only task I accomplished that day was to draw in the house.  As is typical for this area the foundation of the house is quite visible due to the steep slope.  This foundation proved to be an excellent opportunity to repeat the roof color and create a nice contrast with the pthalo blue in the foliage. 


(An indoor set-up using the palette sheet from that day and 
paint from of my plein air box to complete the painting.)

After considering the almost-finished painting, it still needed some more exciting shadow colors in the house.  And this is where I added pthalo blue to the porch and roofline.  Any questions?

Thanks for keeping up with my blog and the challenge.  







4 comments:

  1. Love the pop of orange, the shadows on the wall, the depth in the bushes and trees. And that pop of bright blue throughout. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The blue is so lovely....probably used too much but I liked the result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lights and darks and then the house with yellow and red just pops. Appreciate the picture of the your indoor set up. Always interesting to see how other artists work. So how long will your acrylics stay moist on the palette sheet - assuming they are in a 'box'? Everything in our climate dries out so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For most (and larger) paintings I use a Masterson covered palette. I keep a spray bottle handy to mist the acrylics occasionally. And if I walk away from the studio I put the cover on it and press to seal. Sometimes is just does dry out. I try to put out paint as needed. It is a challenge but I love the versatility of acrylic. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete