Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Saturday, January 7, 2017

January 7 - 30 Paintings in 30 Days

Today is the 7th day of Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge 2017


Cold Moon
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on paper
10 x 10 inches

This painting is a double challenge.  First it is a nocturne with a full moon (December's full moon is called the "Cold Moon").  I have been intrigued by the plein air painters who stay out all night painting.  One of these painters noted that she insists her husband sit with her all night so she does not get scared.   Actually I think the thought of painting in such low light is kind of scary.   However the beautiful full moon last month had me enjoying the magical scene out the window.

The other is that it is a snow scene.  Although I spent several years in New England enjoying the beautiful winter landscape,  I did hand-built pottery rather than paintings then.   Fortunately a trip to Draper, VA last February after one of our heavier snowfalls of the season provided a good reference.  

So I created this painting remembering the glow of the building lights on the snow those many winter nights in New England.  And thinking back on how many details could be seen in the landscape during a full moon.  However my intention was to not include too many details to allow the spectacular light display of the nocturne the "shine".

One week completed for the challenge and I hope that I have kept your interest to keep you coming back next week.  Thank you for stopping by my blog.






6 comments:

  1. Well done! I love the way you handled the moon. Clouds passing or misty atmosphere, I just love that it is not a perfect circle. Never can resist a church scene. And your post has reminded me of how bright the nights can be in winter. Terrific week Judith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting demanded just "jumping in"! Happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! You captured the glow of the moon and the lights on the snow beautifully. I love going out at night when there's a big snow and just sitting back and taking it all in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I could not have written it any better.

    ReplyDelete