Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Thursday, February 9, 2017

One Final Assignment from the Painting Challenge


On February 9, 1870 the U.S. Weather Bureau was established.
One hundred years later it was renamed the National Weather Service.



Unexpected Shower
by Judith F Lochbrunner
20 x 16
acrylic on paper

This painting is the final assignment that I gave myself from the January 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge.  The work combines many of the landscape exercises from last month in a larger size.  However the biggest challenge was to simplify.  

I originally intended to add some buildings and even a fence to the back fields.  As soon as they were painted, I realized my mistake. The structures did not connect the sky to the front field; they broke up the composition so much so that it appeared that another painting had been inserted. 

That section was reworked with simple tree and shrub shapes.  Those same colors were added to the back treelike as well.  The composition was simplified and the final result is a unified painting.   




Happily, I can now turn my attention to new work.  This 36 x 36 inch canvas was stretched and put together earlier this week (check my Facebook page for photos).  An almost empty jar of naphthol red acrylic paint was extended with some gel and applied as a base coat.  A second layer of acrylic ink was added with some alcohol splattered about to move the ink in random directions.   I can't wait to play with it some more.....will it be a landscape...maybe? 


It is a real pleasure to set-up outside on a February afternoon 
and I was soon joined by my art assistant.


Winter returns late tonight lest we get too used to these temperatures!

One final note is to inform you that Potentially Chic is closing the retail shop at the end of the month.  However the services part of the business will remain.  I am thankful to have had the opportunity to display work at the shop and to have met many of you there.  

Thank you for stopping by my blog.   






5 comments:

  1. Love the sky in shower :) Nice to hear about, and see how you reworked some "mistakes". The new start is intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to start paintings outside especially large ones! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your use of horizontals and verticals - makes the composition so interesting. Love the sky and neutral colours. We still have a couple of feet of snow - is refreshing to see the green and your art assistant (or supervisor?) seems to be doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...can't wait to see where you go with this start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Daisy is not convinced that I know what I am doing at time and she may be correct. It is fun to play with paint outside. Not always possible here in Feb but great when it is. Enjoy your snow!

    ReplyDelete