Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, February 27, 2017

Small Works Weekly - Sum of the Parts


Sum of the Parts #1
by Judith F Lochbrunner
mixed media on canvas
8 x 8 inches

Today's small works post is a continuation of my series of abstract landscapes.  Collage and swatches of acrylic color were applied to the canvas.  After turning each canvas to discover the "top" of the mountains, the sky was painted.  The shapes reflecting the topography and fields were then painted and defined with ebony pencil.  This process was repeated until the shapes "settled" into place.  



Sum of the Parts #2
by Judith F Lochbrunner
mixed media on canvas
8 x 8 inches

Thank you for stopping by my second edition of "Small Works" and hope to see you again on Thursday for my regular post.

PS The blog will soon be moving to a new address but don't worry, I will give you plenty of notice and keep you posted.  In the meantime, check back at stonecoalstudio.blogspot.com



4 comments:

  1. Love this Judith. Great layers of paint and seeing bits of the original colours showing through makes it look so rich. Like the ebony pencil - again just the right amount - makes the colours around it pop. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I háve been tinkering with this idea and hope to continue it as it seems to be leading somewhere right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoying these. The muted (?) colors seem welcoming to me. The shapes make my eye travel, and the bits of deep dark draw me in. I want to lean in and look closer. Love the soft rolling hill tops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. Your comments always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete