Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Winter Takes a Holiday - Small Works Weekly

Today is the first "Small Works Weekly" post on my blog.  I have missed working on the small paintings since completing the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge*.  In order to encourage small works on the painting table, I plan is to post a small work early in the week in addition to my regular Thursday post.    

And since winter has taken a break here in Virginia, Mary Anne and I headed out for plein air close to home.  We chose a view of a field with the backdrop of the mountains and a small barn.  It was a calm, sunny and pleasant day.  


Not Quite Spring #1
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on painted paper
6 x 6 inches

The color in winter is often under-appreciated.  There are no intense pinks, deep oranges or bright greens.  However straw yellows, smokey grays, rusts and soft violets make up a wonderful mix of colors on the palette.  There is a quiet softness to this season.



I began with a small drawing for each of the paintings.  The notepad with the drawings is sitting to the left of my palette to serve as a "road-map".  Each painting is of the same view with a slightly different foreground.  One includes the fence (below) and the other has telephone poles (above).  




Not Quite Spring #2
by Judith F Lochbrunner
acrylic on painted paper
6 x 6 inches



An added bonus to painting close to home is that my husband and Daisy dog came walking by and Phil took my picture.

Thank you for stopping by this new addition to my blog.  
Let me know which view you prefer and why.  I look forward to your comments.


*Check my 2017 January posts for more information on the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge. 

2 comments:

  1. Both are wonderful. Peaceful. I like the wonky, not quite a fence, fence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was really a section of fence that looked like that so I had to include it. Thanks for the nice comment.

    ReplyDelete