Stone Coal Studio

Stone Coal Studio

Monday, March 6, 2017

Mat or Frame?: Small Works Weekly


Mountain Lines
by Judith F Lochbrunner
mixed media on canvas
10 x 8 inches

Presentation is an important part of any art display.  While some artists may choose to be non-traditional and use pushpins in the wall, I along with others want to show my art in the best and most practical way.

The presentation needs a practical side to keep the work from being damaged.  It also needs to be easy to hang.   There is also the less defined side of an appropriate presentation.  By this I mean that the art needs to be displayed in a manner which shows off its best qualities.  

Should the art be in a frame and what type of frame should be used?  Should it be big, small, modern, or traditional?  The choice for framing is endless.  

Or should the art be matted with a protective clear bag to allow the buyer to choose?  The clear bag protects the art from handling.  The mat provides a simple but elegant presentation to show the art at its best.

But how does the artist choose without knowing who will purchase the piece?  The only answer seems to be to provide both options for collectors.


(Paintings that include "Mountain Line" are matted and ready for delivery to Goose Creek.)

The painting at the top of this post along with other framed work will be delivered to Goose Creek Studio in Bedford tomorrow.  Hopefully my collectors will find the right one in the right presentation or have the frame shop at Goose Creek frame it to their preference.

Do you have a favorite way to purchase art?  Please share in the comments at the end of this post.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

PS:  Look for as new blog address coming soon.  My goal is to move it by the end of March but I will be sure to post at this web address so you will have plenty of prior notice.





2 comments:

  1. I prefer matted pieces. They are less expensive and I can choose a frame I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have a wonderful collection of art that fills you with joy. I think I will mat more small works. Thanks

    ReplyDelete